Friday, June 8, 2012

Common Enemy "As The World Burns" CD Review


Released March 27, 2012

Gary's vocals make my throat hurt. But I suspect that with all the partying Common Enemy does, Gary doesn't even know his throat should be hurting. Common Enemy's hardcore, punk and thrash attack (think RKL, Municipal Waste, Accused, early 80s thrash) fits perfectly with their nihilistic, party til the end of the universe mentality. Consider the definition of existential nihilism, which argues that life is without objective meaning, purpose, or intrinsic value.

Review the song titles for proof: 
  • All I Want for Christmas is a Bag of Weed
  • March Them Off To War (This is F&$%ing Business)
  • Where's It At - referring of course to the weed
  • Cheat Lie and Steal
  • Dead Kegs


Tracks like "Look At Yourself" and "Bottle/Cross" attempt to convince the listener to join in their existential nihilism crusade! 

"Bottle/Cross"

I feel the hand of god
gripped tight around my neck
as the pills keep going down
I'm told what I must accept
A bottle and a cross and all your problems solved
you can never save yourself
it's in the hands of God 
it's never f&$%ing clear
and I fear it's all a fraud
medicated to comply
that's the burden that I got


Common Enemy "As the World Burns" rips through the sixteen songs in 24 minutes, which is probably about as much time as you'll have after you find out the plan has been executed to end the world. 




So hit play and thrash til you die!
Frank FOE

No comments:

Post a Comment