Sunday, March 31, 2013

The Corps "Bottle of Rock n Roll" 10"

The Corps
“Bottle of Rock N Roll”
Longshot / Black Hole Records
Released: April 9, 2013

.

The Corps kick things off with “All My Money”, which is spent on whiskey and women. There is a certain element that will take this as their anthem!


This 10” is for fans of punk with a US Southern rock flare, such as the masters of the genre, Nashville Pussy. This is also for fans of good old rock n roll with guts, such as bands like Rose Tattoo. I swear I did not know The Corps were from Sydney Australia before I made the Rose Tattoo reference! I swear I also did not know The Corps had a song called “Snake Eyes” before I made the Nashville Pussy reference.




Speaking of “Snake Eyes”, The Corps sound like Nashville Pussy doing a Gang Green (“Alcohol” era) cover on this track. 

Top the whole sound off with the punk snarl of Anti-Nowhere League and you are all set to fall in love with The Corps.


Originally released in 2010 on CD/LP, “Bottle of Rock N Roll” is The Corps’ sixth release and first in the US. The non-US version has The Corps covering Motorhead’s “Ace of Spades” and obviously, Rose Tattoo’s “Nice Boys”, two of the greatest songs ever written by any band. So I don’t have those songs at this moment, which is extremely disappointing and will set me searching.



Not only does The Corps have good taste in music, but they channel their influences with all the “charm” of their influences, nicely done gentlemen. 


Check out this video for "Know The Code", the title track off The Corps most recent LP.




I love this video featuring Sharpies. I had to look up the definition of "Sharpies" too. Makes sense: "Sharpies" were members of suburban youth gangs in Australia, most significantly from the 1960's and 1970's. They were particularly prominent in Melbourne, but were also found in Sydney and Perth to lesser extents. Sharpies were known for being violent, although a strict moral code was also evident. The name comes from their focus on looking and dressing "sharp".

Cheers,
Frank FOE

No comments:

Post a Comment