Saturday, February 23, 2013

Strongbow/Dog Company Split 7" Review


Strongbow/Dog Company
Split 7"

One of the joys of split 7"s is that fans of one particular band get to introduce themselves to another particular band's fans, thus benefiting everyone and expanding the whole punk universe. 


Oddly enough, I don't know much about either of these bands. Which is a great thing about split labels (Black Hole and Contra). My friends in Black Hole turned me on to this record, just like they have turned me on to so many great bands in the past. 

Strongbow is from Dresden, Germany. They've been around since 2001. 


One of Dresden's most famous landmarks, the Frauenkirche

Apparently I need to catch up. Strongbow has a nice discography that I've missed out on. If "These Nights" and "Blind" are any indication of the quality of the rest of their music, I need to complete the discography as I am now a FAN.

STRONGBOW


Strongbow have a powerful driving sound that is one part Naked Raygun, one part anthem and one part snarl. Check this video for "Up To You".



Here are some other Strongbow songs that I am sure will set you on the same goal that I have of tracking down all of their vinyl (including the many wonderful versions of this split 7").





Dog Company is from Dallas Texas USA. Dog Company has an undeniable 2013 street punk sound, similar to bands like Flatfoot 56 and Street Dogs. But for my ears, their influence goes back much further. Joe Blow's vocals and the basic song structure had me thinking this was a new Mad Parade release, harking back to the early-mid 1980s! Seriously, at first listen I thought this was new Mad Parade.


Dog Company has been around since 2004 and I obviously need to do some catching up here.


Dog Company "Invisible"

More songs from Dog Company:





Thank you Black Hole for again, introducing me to some great music, further proving the punk universe is forever expanding! 




Cheers,
Frank FOE


No comments:

Post a Comment