Monday, November 27, 2017

Beach Slang We Were Babies & We Were Dirtbags [Quiet Slang]

Beach Slang
"We Were Babies & We Were Dirtbags [Quiet Slang]"
Polyvinyl
Released: October 20, 2017


Beach Slang is playing December 1, 2017 in Bethlehem, PA @ ArtsQuest - Blast Furnace Room.

I like Jimmy. I used to call him Smilin' Jim when he was in Weston, based in my home scene of the Lehigh Valley.


I like Beach Slang. A lot. 

I love it when bands remix, re-record, cover songs, try different takes on their own songs...

As evidence, my Depeche Mode vinyl collection includes 82 LPs and 12"s even though they only have 14 studio albums. Most of that is 12" eps with multiple versions and remixes of the songs I already love.

What Beach Slang has done here is work a perfect EP for me. 




James Alex occasionally performs Beach Slang's songs as intimate solo renditions, appropriately dubbed "Quiet Slang". This ep includes versions fleshed out in the studio to include piano and cello. The result is f*cking fantastic.

"Future Mixtape for the Art Kids" is a great song, originally from the LP "A Loud Bash of Teenage Feelings", but damn if I don't even love it more this way. It has one of my favorite lyrics,

"We are not f*cked, we are f*cking alive, I hope I never die"

"Bad Art and Weirdo Ideas", originally on "The Things We Do To Find People Who Feel Like Us", is one of my favorite Beach Slang songs. The original has the simple haunting "ahhh ahh ahh" vocal in the background.  The piano and cello version on this EP is classic. Simply beautiful. The beauty also lies in the fact that I love listening to both versions. Check the video below:





The piano in the song "Androgynous" (Joan Jett) falls into my favorite categories of cover song and a version significantly different than the original.

"Androgynous"
Joan Jett & the Blackhearts
Here comes Dick 
He's wearing a skirt 
Here comes Jane 
You know she's sporting a chain 
Same hair revolution 
Same build evolution 
Tomorrow who's going to fuss
And they love each other so 
Androgynous 
Closer than you know 
Love each other so 
Androgynous
Well don't get him wrong 
And don't get him mad 
He might be a father 
But he sure ain't a dad 
She don't need 
Advice that they send to her 
She's happy with the way she looks 
She's happy with her gender
And they love each other so 
Androgynous 
Closer than you know 
Love each other so 
Androgynous
Mirror image see no damage 
See no evil at all 
Cutie dolls and urine stalls 
Will be laughed at the way 
You're laughed at now
Now something meets boy 
And something meets girl 
They both are the same 
They're…

The EP winds up with a Big Star cover of "Thirteen". Self explanatory.

Enjoy.

Cheers,
Frank FOE



No comments:

Post a Comment