Wednesday, December 5, 2018

The Ratchets "First Light"

THE RATCHETS
"First Light"
Pirates Press Records
Released: November 9, 2018
  • The Ratchets are from New Jersey.
  • "First Light" is not their first LP, but the first I own and I feel super ridiculous. Why? Because I love this album and feel like I should have known about them earlier. 
  • Bouncing Souls legend Pete Steinkopf recorded and mixed this at Little Eden, Asbury Park NJ. I always thought highly of Pete when I first met him hanging out with the Weston lads back in the Mammyhouse days a couple of decades ago. You can check Pete's goings on here: http://petesteinkopf.com/
  • Check the video for the album's first cut, The Ratchets - "Gotta Be Cool" (Official Music Video):



  • There is a "feel" to this album. A punk rock, earthy energy that has an edge yet is comfortable. Buffalo Tom meets the Clash in a dive bar playing their hearts out to the loaded locals.
  • Automatic high regard in my book for name dropping George Jones in the song "Jammyland". See, George Jones rules, or ruled. I love George Jones. I have 35 George Jones albums on vinyl. I buy any record of his I find. I think that the Ratchets tap in to the same comfort that I get from a George Jones record, while being completely different. I have seen George Jones live many times and was completely blown away every time. I miss George Jones. 
  • The Ratchets cover The Tom Robinson Band song "2-4-6-8 Motorway", which is one of my all time favorite songs. 
  • The packaging with this LP is fantastic. I LOVE the colors on the vinyl. They call it "piss yellow with hot pink and halloween orange twist". I call it magic. The thick record inner sleeve, with lyrics and photo gets extra points. I also scored a poster and digital download. I am very happy.
  • The Ratchets made me learn a new word:
do·tard
noun
  1. an old person, especially one who has become weak or senile.
  • Check the video for "Dotard At The Dial":


  • I love the locked groove at the end of the record. I actually listened to it for a good ten minutes.
  • Pressing Information
    • 400pcs. - 12" Piss Yellow w/ Hot Pink & Halloween Orange Twist Vinyl (Retail Version) 
    • 100pcs. - 12" Black Vinyl (Sold as set w/ PPR008, PPR209, PPR215, PPR216) 
    • 1000pcs. - Digipak CD


No comments:

Post a Comment