Tuesday, December 6, 2011

EyeHateGod – Live @ Jimmy’s Place Allentown PA 12/3/11 Review



Skip called me one day wanting to know if I thought that booking EyeHateGod at Jimmy’s was a good idea. I almost passed out from the possibility! EyeHateGod has been on my must see live list for far too long. I treasure their records. I treasure the deep, dark, chaotic things they do to my mind when I listen to them. They play the kind of music that can take you out of your body, legs firmly attached to the ground yet your spirit is moving. They are an ingenious band that combines feedback, doom, sludge, metal, hardcore and punk into something that is simply stated, EyeHateGod. I could only imagine what they would be like live, in person, in a small venue like Jimmy’s Place.

Skip thankfully booked the show. Not only did he book EyeHateGod, but also filled out the show’s lineup with quality opening bands! I was seriously impressed with Chinga!, Bastard Thieves, Limb By Limb and Buzzherd. I had never seen any of these bands and they all killed in their own way. The diversity and quality of these bands was inspiring. Could the local scene be heading towards another pinnacle?

Chinga! plans to release their debut CD, “Relentless Culinary Assault” in March of 2012 on Born of Chaos Records. Chinga! Play straightforward powerful metal that incorporates elements of black metal, hardcore and doom.



Bastard Thieves incorporate elements of black metal but bump the effect up by also mixing in a heady, atmospheric and moody style that transitions well into the thrash attack. The facial expressions and body contortions of the guitarist/vocalist must be witnessed. Bastard Thieves is a very entertaining and talented band.




Limb By Limb is a belligerent, confrontational, dangerous metalcore style that brings to mind elements of Pantera and Hatebreed. They had CDs at the show that captures their sound very well.





Buzzherd is an impressively sick band. The vocalist reminds me of Blaine from the Accused, both with the voice and the hair. Buzzherd was a perfect way to coil up the energy before EyeHateGod.











   
Mike IX Williams appears to be one of the coolest front men around. His trademark vocals for EyeHateGod are a pure demonic delight over Brian Patton & Jimmy Bower’s guitar heroics. Guitars tuned down, sonic imbalance, feedback, drums and bass driving the perfect sludge and shifting into precision thrash. The crowd’s reaction was pure mayhem. People were flying everywhere, the stage was crowded, the mass of the crowd almost seemed like they were battling the soundwaves that were trying to blow them away, like trying to stand still as the ocean tries to beat you back to the beach. The security kind of took a step back and let it happen, in a “these kids are nuts” reaction. The collective sweat of the club could have changed a desert into a rain forest. This was one of the rawest, purely emotional, unified crowd reactions I have ever seen. The first time I was part of this type of energy was witnessing YDI back in the early 80s. EyeHateGod brought back those kinds of memories. This EyeHateGod show was pure mayhem. For those who possess a mind like mine, this was unadulterated joy. 


 














This was also one of those shows where you knew most of the people there were on a certain level of understanding. I met many interesting new people. EyeHateGod at Jimmy’s Place in Allentown was a friendly atmosphere! I chatted with some people I never met before, some from nearby scenes like Reading (Ally got up and sung while Mike took a break during one song) and some people from New Jersey. I caught up with people I have not seen in years. These types of connections made the show enjoyable on a whole other level.



Thank you to Skip for booking this show. You outdid yourself on this one sir! Thank you to EyeHateGod for taking the chance of playing Allentown (come back again real soon)! I think EyeHateGod was in as much awe as we were of just how fantastic and special an experience this was. Thank you to everyone who supported this show and held nothing back. I want to thank Brian Patton for being one of the coolest guitarists I have ever met. EyeHateGod are humble. You can tell they are one of us. They appreciated the love the crowd gave back to them. I wish I had brought a better camera to this show, but I will have the memories for a lifetime.

Frank FOE

twitter @UpToNoGoodRadio

3 comments:

  1. thank you frank you looked awe struck at the end of the show ,i made my day 250 times over ;) . yes looks like we sold this one out and the local scene is back brother thanks to you and all of the stand up people in the scene that do truely give a shit . it was a crazy show one of my favorates to date ,very few are like this !!
    till we meet in the pit again. :)
    thanks frank .Skip BizR

    ReplyDelete
  2. this show was great. It'd be awesome to see some more bands of this caliber at Jimmy's (especially on a weekend)
    Maybe Weedeater?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always looking for the talent to play jimmys they call me ,ill book them. Also Frank we finished editing the multi cam dvd . we will not be releasing it but i do have one copy for you m,gives you chills to see it all over again. ;)

      Delete