Saturday, February 4, 2012

CRAZY SPIRIT "Demo 12" Toxic State Records Review




Toxic State Records 2011

Pretty sure this band could care less what you or I think of them. I love a lot of things about this record and that is one of the things I love about this record (the impression that they don't care what I think). I love that the screen printed jacket and lyric sheet / poster still feel wet and / or gritty. The record feels like New York City in the early 80s.



I love that their songs sound like they were constructed by a gang of nihilistic end of the world warriors who stumbled upon instruments one day and this recording is what they came up with. I love that it sounds like they just turned everything up, everything is overly distorted. As I learned in 1982, when I first got a guitar and amp, when you turn things all the way up, they take on a life of their own and you do what you can in an attempt to control the sound, but eventually just let it flow. They temper the chaos with some appropriate between song sound bytes. Musically this falls towards another one of my loves, Rudimentary Peni.  



No comments:

Post a Comment