Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Municipal Waste, Corrosion of Conformity, 3 Inches of Blood, Black Tusk Live @ Union Transfer Philly PA 6/25/12 Review

Municipal Waste photo by FOE

I'm not a betting man, but I would bet that the members of Municipal Waste were the type to wake and bake, head off to school, somehow be late to every class, but not get in trouble, start food fights in the cafeteria and be loved by the teachers, principals and just about everyone, even though they spend most of their day high or drunk.

  
Municipal Waste photo by FOE

Live, Municipal Waste promotes having fun! The crowd in Philly on this Monday night took full advantage of the pursuit of happiness.

Municipal Waste photo by FOE

I've been going to punk, hardcore and metal shows since 1982, during Municipal Waste's set, the stage diving crowd surfers did something I had never seen at a concert before. Literal crowd surfing, complete with boogie boards. The lunatics were jumping into the crowd, holding on to their boogie boards like they were diving into the waves at the Jersey shore. 

Surfer ready to dive photo by FOE


Municipal Waste photo by FOE

Municipal Waste crowd photo by FOE

Municipal Waste was a non-stop thrashing party!

Corrosion of Conformity photo by FOE

Back in the early 1980s, COC released the classic "crossover" LP "Animosity". Bassist/vocalist Mike Dean, drummer/vocalist Reed Mullin and guitarist Woody Weatherman created a masterpiece that brought together hardcore and metal in a way that changed music.

Woody (COC) photo by FOE

Thirty years on and the original lineup is back together and have released a fantastic, stoner metal, rock, hardcore gem of a record on Candlelight, called "Corrosion of Conformity".

Reed (COC)) photo by FOE

 Mixing "Animosity" era, some of the hits and material from the new record, I was mesmerized by COC. I could simply watch these guys jam all day long.

Woody (COC) photo by FOE

I have to admit, I actually was blown away by the live new material more than the "Animosity" material. Maybe it is because I was lucky enough to see COC multiple times back in the day (even pre-Animosity) including attending a COC / Malefice gig rather than attending my prom. The new material rocked. COC creates effortless intensity!

Mike Dean (COC) photo by FOE

My timing was off. Honestly, I was planning on missing 3 Inches of Blood. Turns out Black Tusk opened the show. My bad. But, my good.

3 Inches of Blood photo by FOE

3 Inches of Blood are somewhere between Iron Maiden and King Diamond. The couple of tracks I have heard on Sirius Radio's Liquid Metal didn't really do it for me.

3 Inches of Blood photo by FOE

The power of metal made me see this band. I already love Black Tusk. I am now a 3 Inches of Blood convert!

3 Inches of Blood photo by FOE

Not sure if it is their commitment to metal, their skill at playing their instruments or that this just comes across better in a live setting, but 3 Inches of Blood were the surprise of the evening.

3 Inches of Blood photo by FOE


3 Inches of Blood photo by FOE

I only got to see one song of Black Tusk. Stupid stupid stupid. 

Black Tusk photo by FOE

I didn't even get enough time to set my camera up correctly, but Black Tusk still look pretty cool.

Black Tusk photo by FOE

Working the door was my old pal Jamie Getz (Gods and Queens, Very Distro, R5 Productions etc...). He somehow blames me for ruining his life by helping him get into punk/hardcore/etc... Oh well.



Bands had lots of vinyl for sale! I ended up picking up the Municipal Waste / Toxic Holocaust split LP and the Black Tusk LP "The Fallen Kingdom"

On my way back into the club, from running my vinyl out to the car, this woman approaches me and asks me... "Have you ever seen a toothless piranha?"

I reply, "I've actually never seen any piranha!"

Camera around my neck, she asked me to take her photo!

Toothless Piranha photo by FOE

Toothless Piranha photo by FOE

Toothless Piranha photo by FOE

I love music, Union Transfer, Philadelphia and living life!

Have fun,
Frank FOE


www.facebook.com/DJ.FRANK.FOE
www.frankfoe.blogspot.com/p/complete-index.html
www.wlvr.org
www.frankfoe.com
www.frankfoe.blogspot.com
https://twitter.com/#!/UpToNoGoodRadio
foe411@yahoo.com
uptonogoodradio@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment