Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Husker Du "Metal Circus" LP SST Records - Review

Husker Du
SST Records
Released 1983


Whenever I listen to any of the seven songs that comprise Husker Du's "Metal Circus" I am instantly transported back to 1983.

"Real World", "Deadly Skies", "It's Not Funny Anymore", First of the Last Calls", "Lifeline", "Diane" and "Out on a Limb" are undoubtedly classics. Each and every song.

Back in '83, WLVR 91.3 FM (Bethlehem) had about six punk and hardcore shows, every DJ played these tracks to death, especially "Diane".

I can not listen to this album without somehow subtracting thirty years from my life. My body goes sort of numb, my brain gets confused (probably because I am still in a 46 year old body) and I feel somehow like an unsure teenager full of vinegar.

Husker Du Logo

Bob Mould, Grant Hart and Greg Norton were revolutionary in their ability to continually take their influences and create something new throughout their career.

Husker Du

"Metal Circus" was the first gigantic step forward Husker Du would take. Husker Du were continually inventing.

My son has taught me about Thomas Edison. I appreciate Edison not only for his inventions, but his thought pattern and wisdom. These are some of the quotes from Edison that I apply to Husker Du.



Hell, there are no rules here - we're trying to accomplish something. 


Restlessness is discontent and discontent is the first necessity of progress. 
Show me a thoroughly satisfied man and I will show you a failure. 


I start where the last man left off. 



If you do not own this album, yet listen to any sort of rock music in 2012, obtain this album, realize it is nearly thirty years old, and treasure it. It is still vital today! Husker Du was impossibly influential.

If you own this record, drop the needle on it tonight!

Take care,
Frank FOE


2 comments:

  1. Such a classic album!! I started with Husker Du with the release of Zen Arcade and went backwards to Metal Circus. I love this album. Thanks for the memory refresh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are welcome! I'm glad you posted your response. That was the first time I posted something about an old release, hoping it would either get someone to remember, or turn someone on to something they missed.

    Can't wait to play some Husker Du on the radio today!

    ReplyDelete