Saturday, June 28, 2014

Reverend Horton Heat "Rev" LP and live

Reverend Horton Heat
"Rev"

Victory Records
Janaury 21, 2014

I bought the vinyl version of "Rev" at the Reverend Horton Heat & Creepshow gig at the Musikfest Cafe in Bethlehem PA on June 27, 2014. So yeah, even though I have each of the ten studio albums that preceded this release by the band, even though I have seen the Reverend Horton Heat live numerous times, "Rev" escaped my radar. 


Photo by Frank FOE 6/27/14 Bethlehem PA


Photo by Frank FOE 6/27/14 Bethlehem PA

So the first time I heard the latest legendary tracks from the Reverend Horton Heat like "Victory Lap", "Smell of Gasoline", "Zombie Dumb", "Hard Scrabbled Woman", "Never Gonna Stop It", "Schitzoid" and "Let Me Teach You How To Eat" was live. Normally, when a band plays a ton of new stuff live, I am flat out disappointed. Not so on this night. These songs all kill, which should lead you to the obvious conclusion that so does this album. "Rev" is a mandatory LP, combining the band's trademark influences of country, rock n roll, surf, punk, psychobilly, rockabilly, attitude and fun. Immediately, this is an instant favorite album of mine.


Photos by Frank FOE 6/27/14 Bethlehem PA

One of the most enjoyable things about seeing the Reverend Horton Heat live is that the guys in the band are true characters, entertainers and musicians that seem to be having the time of their lives playing for the audience (and themselves). 

Photo by Frank FOE 6/27/14 Bethlehem PA

From the Reverend's suave smiles, knowing glances, welcoming personality and effortlessly amazing guitar playing to Jimbo's high energy stand up bass thumping to Scott Churilla's precise, technical, on point drumming...  Damn, when Scott plays a drum solo, no one rolls their eyes or goes for a drink at the bar, they stick around to witness. I have never noticed a drummer wiping down his cymbals, polishing them between songs. I take this as a reflection on Scott's drumming. So precise, so technical that not even a smudge on the cymbals will be tolerated. I say cheers and thumbs up to that! One day I hope to be that good on the kit. 

Photo by Frank FOE 6/27/14 Bethlehem PA

Thank you Reverend Horton Heat for yet another great album and another fun show. If I had any troubles, they were surely wiped clean off the slate during Reverend Horton Heat's set, absolved by Jim, Jimbo and Scott.




Touring with Reverend Horton Heat was The Creepshow. New to me, but not to those knee deep in the genre, having released four albums.

Photo by Frank FOE 6/27/14 Bethlehem PA

I was pleasantly surprised by The Creepshow! From Toronto Canada (since 2005 - geez where have I been) are a treat live. Kenda is a mighty force on vocals and guitar. And she can't sit still, traveling around the audience, on the main floor and up to the balcony all while singing and never missing a beat. 

Photo by Frank FOE 6/27/14 Bethlehem PA


This was my first show at the Musikfest Cafe and now that I have been there I regret not heading out to see the Psychedelic Furs and English Beat shows that have recently happened there. I won't pass up on these kinds of gigs again. Can't beat a 20 minute drive to a quality venue. 

Cheers, 
Frank FOE

 Photo by Frank FOE 6/27/14 Bethlehem PA
 Photo by Frank FOE 6/27/14 Bethlehem PA
Photo by Frank FOE 6/27/14 Bethlehem PA



No comments:

Post a Comment